Scholarship Fund Criteria
- The applicant must be a legal U.S. resident and a paid member of the MPC for the two previous years.
- The applicant is required to be active member of the club and our community, having attended and assisted at fundraising events.
- The applicant should have a clean police record with no convictions of any sort.
- The applicant must complete the Application Form (available on our website), which includes a one-page essay explaining why he/she deserves to be a recipient of the MPC Scholarship Fund.
Award Amount & Disbursement:
- The annual Scholarship Fund was established in 2007 by Tony & Lakana Bikhazi. In 2012, Charles & Mary Saleh matched the scholarship amount and the total is now $4,000.
- The Scholarship Fund offered is for two semesters and is earmarked for students entering their freshman year.
- The value of the scholarship awarded to selectees will be determined by the MPC's Board Members.
- Applications must be received by April 30, so that the Scholarship Fund can be decided upon and disbursed at the end of May. Scholarships are paid directly to the relevant colleges or universities.
- When an applicant is awarded a scholarship, he or she will be notified and the award is presented in person at the next Board Meeting.
- These guidelines and the Application Form is available here.
Scholarships from the Southern Federation of Syrian Lebanese American Clubs:
In addition to the MPC Scholarship Fund, members of the MPC are eligible for the scholarships provided by the Southern Federation of Syrian Lebanese American Clubs, an umbrella organization that we are pleased to belong to. Every year our club contributes $9 per person to be a member of the Federation and benefit from their scholarships and activities. For more information, see www.sfslac.org.
Applicants must complete a separate Application Form that is available on the Federation's website. They are to be submitted to the MPC Board for review, no later than March 20 to meet the Federation's deadline of April 1, 2014.
The same above-mentioned criteria applies for the Federation's scholarships, plus a short video bio via You Tube or Memory Stick.
Link to the Application Form: http://www.sfslac.org/images/sfslac/SFSLAC_Scholarship_Application_2014.pdf
As Gibran Khalil Gibran wrote: "Education sows not seeds in you, but makes your seeds grow."